Wednesday, April 19, 2006

How low can you go?

Well, in the continental US, that would be Key West, where you can find the southernmost point and a lot of tourists and odd people in general. Not that I think these two are odd.....nope, not at all! :)

But this guy....well let's just say a picture is worth 1,000 words!

Our trip to Key West was really fun and probably the highlight of our Florida vacation - if you subtract the 6+ hour drive each way. Being someone who gets car sick, I can tell you that 6 hours sitting in the back seat of a car is one of the most boring things to do. I can't read or do anything other than look out the window (or sleep, which was an option). So... ho hum.

But, the Keys are so beautiful. We had perfect weather - the humidity left just for me and the sun was shining. The sunset entertainers in Mallory Square are a hoot! It's like a three ring circus, without the rings.

Flame throwers, tight-rope-walking dogs, singers, knife throwers, and chickens just milling around for the fun of it.

For those of you who don't know....there are wild chickens in Key West. They live everywhere ---- roosters crowing outside your hotel room at 5 am, makes you think you've been transported to a farm! And now, most of the hens have babies scurrying around under their feet. So cute. Too bad there's talk of rounding them all up because of the bird flu scare. Such a shame.

I, who live a mere mile from the Pacific Ocean, was right up at the railing to take a pic of the famous Key West sunset. Really beautiful, and very different from our sunsets here. I loved that this flock of birds took off from the pier at just the right time.

Matt was thrilled that the beach just 5 blocks from our motel was the only 'nude' beach on Key West. I'm sure his eyes were wide and roving behind those Foster Grants. Hey, he's 16, so why not! He was lucky enough to spot a few brave babes.

The other days were spent at Dad's place in Pt. St. Lucie. We did get to the beach almost every day. The ocean was really mean on a couple of them. Rip tides, pests, and nasty surf.

But, on the last day, conditions were absolutely perfect. I just love the jewel tones of the warm Atlantic Ocean. So relaxing to look at. And swim in. Every time I visit, it makes me want to move there. Guess I need to go in August for a reality check.

2 comments:

Pam said...

WOW! Awesome photos! Looks like you really did have a great time and that I need to go back to Key West because I don't remember Chickens when I was there on my honeymoon! Only cats!

Unknown said...

I guess I never saw this post. Really great shots you got and love that "guy" lol I also tagged you so go visit my blog to find the details.