Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Mission San Juan Capistrano


On Sunday, I met Matt half way to his school because he forgot some stuff when he went back. No surprise in that! We ate near the San Juan Capistrano mission, which I have never actually visited. I didn't have time to go inside ($9 entrance fee and I only had about 10 minutes to spend there), but it was a gorgeous day and I snapped a couple shots from the entry way.

This is the Mission where the swallows return each year. I'd love to be there to see that!






The Camino Real is the route that Father Serra took as he traveled from Mexico to San Francisco. It is marked with these Spanish style bells. The Missions are spaced along the route, about a day's travel apart.





And that's your California history lesson for today!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Beautiful pictures and wonderful history lesson!

renee said...

These are fabulous. So good to see you blogging again. I am loving your pictures.